Check out these top tips. Some of them might be obvious but are still worth a try:
- Join a society – Pluck up the courage – you’ll be glad you did.
- Attend a hall event – Most of these are small events which are designed for you to get to know new people.
- Volunteer – it’s a great way to take you out of yourself and focus on others.
- Make a meal for friends or flatmates
- Look out for others – They may be feeling lonely and awkward – be a friend to them.
- Register with the Student Employment Agency – working with other students is a good way to make new friends.
- Finally, remember other students may be feeling lonely and insecure too. According to a global report by Sodexo, almost half of UK students (46 per cent) admit to loneliness during their time at university.
If you’ve lost the confidence to do these things contact Student Wellbeing on ext 3000 for support and advice.