How much does a polar bear weigh?? Enough to break the ice!
Use this super cheesy joke to start a conversation or you could try these tips instead...
Welcome Events - Whether you've heard about something going on in your halls, at the union or in town, see if your flatmates fancy going with you. It's much easier to chat and make friends at an actual event.
- Movie Night - Invite people over to your kitchen or arrange to meet in the common room for a movie or boxset marathon (let's face it, who doesn't love Game of Thrones? If the answer is you, watch it immediately with your housemates). Pizza is always a good incentive!
- Put some music on in the kitchen - This lets your flatmates know you're up and about, and music is such a common interest, it can be a great conversation starter! Maybe start a Spotify playlist for the flat that you can all add muic to.
- Put a sign on your door - So your new flatmates feel welcome to come and say hi, leave a note on your door with a little message or your name.
- Go exploring - Most of you in your new environment might not know your way around, so round everyone up and have a wander around campus or the town!
- Offer food or drink - It doesn't have to be a full blown meal, buy some cakes or sweets to share with your flatmates.
TOP TIP: Making multiple cups of tea or hot drinks of choice is always a winner if you are planning on inviting people to do stuff!