Cook up a delicious Welsh Rarebit
No idea what a Welsh Rarebit is? In a nutshell, it is a posh cheese on toast with some other ingredients thrown in. It’s really simple to make and we bet it's much yummier than those 'just add water' meals...
You will need:
- 225g grated, strong cheese such as Cheddar or Cheshire
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 level teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Shake of pepper
- 4 tablespoons beer or Guinness
- 4 slices bread toasted on 1 side only
What to do:
- Put the cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, flour and pepper into a saucepan.
- Mix well and then add the beer, Guinness or milk to moisten. Do not make it too wet!!
- Stir over a gentle heat until all is melted, and when it is a thickish paste, stop stirring, and swivel it around the saucepan, which it will do quite easily.
- Leave to cool a little, and meanwhile toast the bread on one side only.
- Spread the rarebit over the untoasted side and brown under a hot grill.
- This mixture can be made and kept in the refrigerator for several days if required. Sweet white wine can be used instead of beer and gives a good flavour.
- Read Next
- Try this delicious recipe! You HAVE to try this tasty veggie recipe! Cook this delicious black bean chilli! Cupboard ESSENTIALS Free Christmas lunch at halls Buxton Student Night In - Mocktail Masterclass 25% off at Las Iguanas 10% off at Cosmo! 20% off at Pizza Hut Restaurants 25% off at Yo Sushi! Is it done yet? Handy cooking tips! Papa John's Pizza offer! 30% off at Pizza Express 50% off at Fat Cats
- Student Living takes over Darley Bank Making It On Your Own: Laundry Union of Students elections coming soon. Meet your Manager: Princess Alice Court Five student friendly pubs to try out in Buxton