Ay up me duck!
Have you had trouble understanding the locals since you moved to Derby? If so then check out these typical Derbyshire phrases and their meanings. They’ll help you to blend in like a local.
- Bobby off: Leave in a hurry
- Cob: Bread roll
- Is it woth ote? Is it worth anything?
- It’s ‘ollin it dahn! It is raining heavily
- Mank abaht: Fool around
- Namor: No more
- Ommocks: Feet
- Rammel: Rubbish
- Taitered: Exhausted
- Dunna gerrum gooin’: Don’t upset them
- Eh’s gorra munk on: He’s in a bad mood
- Ganzi: A sweater
- Gerraht: Get out!
Keep the conversation going – tell us any Derbyshire words and phrases you’ve come across since you’ve lived in Derbyshire. Post them on your hall facebook page.