Couscous Stuffed Aubergine
Channel your inner Jamie Oliver and create this yummy dish, it's simple, it's cheap to make and the best thing about it...it's completely meat free!
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 large aubergine
- clove of garlic, thinly sliced
- courgette, thinly sliced
- large handful spinach (washed)
- 100g sachet couscous
- halloumi cheese, sliced
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Slice the aubergine lengthways and make a criss-cross incision through the centre of each half. Drizzle some olive oil over the aubergine and bake in the oven for 25 mins until softened.
- Prepare the couscous using the instructions on the sachet, this usually takes 3-5 minutes and put to the side.
- Meanwhile, put the butter, garlic and onion in a pan and cook until soft. Add the slices of courgette and the spinach and cook down until the spinach has wilted. Add the couscous to the pan and stir well. Take off the heat.
- When the aubergine is soft, carefully scoop out the centre and mix it with the couscous mixture, trying not to cut the flesh of the aubergine.
- Stuff both halves of the aubergine with the filling and place the halloumi cheese across the top. Place back into the oven until the cheese has cooked.